The Tax Specialists Team
They are the experts who do the complex work of building your claim. These are the people who really take all the hassle off your shoulders. They check all the crucial little details of your refund claim and make sure you’re claiming for everything you can. They’ll make sure we have everything needed to prove that you’re owed money while you sit back and plan how to spend it.
It’s not just about doing the maths and getting the legislation right, though. Your Tax Specialist will help to:
- Track down any information or documents that you don’t have.
- Contact current or previous employers for you to save you time getting paperwork such as your contracts of employment, or talk to them to confirm anything about benefits or expenses paid or any questions about whether they provided anything towards travel or subsistence allowances.
- Get hold of all your employment details need for your claim in the case of your previous employer going bust.
- Find copies of all your vehicle documentation, even if you no longer have it or have since changed vehicles.
- Contact the DWP to get hold of records of any benefits received.
- Check prices for journeys on public transport, travel routes – pretty much anything we need to make sure we have everything to make your claim.
If you've switched industries, or moved between periods of employments, self- employment, CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) or unemployment that's no problem. They can handle all of that too. If you’ve received additional income (e.g. if you’re renting out a property, getting a pension from a previous job or do extra freelance work) or your expenses are over a certain amount then we’ll keep you right with HMRC and advise on anything you need to be aware of.
To do anything well, you have to put the hours in. That's as true in tax refunds as in any other line of work. With many claims taking up to 8-10 weeks end to end, not counting any help you need throughout the rest of the year, we do a lot to make sure you don’t have to.
Here’s some of the things our Tax Specialists will do as part of putting your claim together.
- Keeping you up to date: We know your time is valuable, so we never waste it. However, we also know that you need to know what’s happening with your claim. Tax refunds are worth a lot, and they need a lot of care and attention to get right. We won't leave you wondering where you stand, and we won't leave you stranded on an endless phone queue trying to call us to find out either. If something is urgent we’ll always try and get you on the phone first, but we can also contact you by SMS, email, Facebook messenger – or whatever way you tell us is best.
- Calls to HMRC, employers, and others on your behalf: We can get a lot of the information we need for your claim this way. We do the legwork, to keep your claim as stress-free for you as possible. Members of the public are kept hanging on the phone to HRMC for 40 minutes every time they call – but luckily we can give you that time back to do something better with. We also deal with all letters, emails and other communications from HMRC for you. Confirming your refund sometimes takes some back-and-forth with HMRC as they will have questions or need to see copies of documents or other evidence. As always, we handle that for you to take the stress and hassle out of your claim.
- Paperwork: A lot of paperwork goes into claiming a tax refund and making sure everything is correctly recorded and left ready for us to help you claim next year. Luckily we do all of it for you, but where we need your help is signing a couple of forms at the beginning and at the end you’ll need to confirm that you’re happy with us to submit your claim.
- Reviewing documents: Every scrap of paperwork in a refund claim counts. At the end of the day, this is what puts the money back in your pocket. There are a lot of documents to work through, and it never pays to rush them. For example, working through 4 years' worth of bank statements to find everything you can claim for can take hours in itself.
- Amending claims: Sometimes, we uncover new information that changes your claim. Maybe HMRC's figures don't stack up with your own, or maybe there were expenses you didn't realise you could claim for. Amending your claim whenever necessary is the key to getting back exactly what you're entitled to. It's also one of the ways we protect you from HMRC enquiries.
The team uses our custom built software to hold all your information and calculate your claim so it’s easy for us to show your travel routes, methods, costs and prove your claim to HMRC.
If this isn’t your first claim with us then the team will be in touch to verify all the information we already have to make your next claim or do your next self-assessment tax return well before the deadlines.